The first survey on the hill where the Haghia Triada settlement has been found dates back to June 1st, 1990 - that is a week after the beginning of the excavations on the nearby hill of Phaistos. On his excavation's note-book Luigi Pernier reports on the presence of a large number of pottery's fragments. During the following two years (1900-1902) various surveys were carried; in May - June 1902 true excavations started, going on untill 1905. In 1903 the field direction was taken by Roberto Paribeni), but from 1904 the direction was taken personally by Federico Halbherr, with the collaboration of the exceptional drawer Enrico Stefani. The contemporary researches concerning Phaistos were entrusted to Pernier. During 1910-1914 researches were resumed, again by Halberr and Stefani, with the aim to complete the excavation and to prepare the related publication.
However, both the graphic documentation and the description of the site went on with ever increasing difficulties, occasionally and discontinuously, from the First World War till 1925. During the period 1934-1936 restoration campaigns under Pernier's coordination were undertaken. In 1939 and 1958 limited trenches were excavated by Luisa Banti, a Florentine pupil of Pernier. New trenches were carried out, in the seventies by Doro Levi, who gave the field direction to Clelia Laviosa, and from 1977 to 1999 by Vincenzo La Rosa.
More recently both the field researches and the re-examination of the ancient excavation's evidences have been mainly devoted to define a sure chronology and planning of the site.
For a deeper research on Haghia Triada and a comprehensive bibliography we suggest the reading of papers in: Per il centenario dello scavo di Haghia Triada 1902-2002, CRETA ANTICA 4 (2003).